Note: You should only attempt to export your private key on a computer. The private key file will not download on a mobile device or tablet.
Fortmatic is a non-custodial key management services provider, and we give users the option to export their keys at any time. Just go to Fortmatic.com --> Wallet --> Login --> Export Private Key.
There will be two options:
1. As a backup
2. Completely out of Fortmatic's system
With option one, even after exporting, you'll still continue using that wallet address next time you login.
With option two, once you export your key, the wallet address associated with that key will be completely removed from Fortmatic’s platform. This means you will no longer be able to access that address with Fortmatic. If you delete, lose, or otherwise mishandle the keystore file after it is exported, we are unable to help. The next time logging in, a new private key and ethereum address will be automatically generated for you.
After exporting your private key, you can import it to other wallet softwares.
Here are some instructions for importing the file to Metamask.
First you have to create a Metamask wallet. You can download the Metamask chrome extension on their website https://metamask.io.
1. Once you have the wallet created, with the Metamask extension open, click the colorful circle in the top right
2. "Import Account"
3. Select type: JSON file
4. Chose the keystore file from your computer downloads folder
- The file will be called `fortmatic_keystore_mainnet_0x....json` where the `0x...` will be the ethereum public address for the account you exported.
5. Enter the password you used when originally downloading/exporting the file, (not your Metamask password) which will decrypt it.
6. Done. You'll notice the "IMPORTED" flag next to the imported account.
If you run into an error "Key derivation failed - possibly wrong passphrase" this means you are entering the incorrect password to decrypt the .json file. The password that encrypted the file is NOT the password you use when logging into Fortmatic, but the password you set when exporting your key from Fortmatic.If you forgot your password, Fortmatic is unable to help.